Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The odds are even that it will be odd.

This is just one of those inconsequential observations that are generally fascinating only to the observer.

When I hang clothes on the clothesline, I take an item of clothing, and then grab a handful of pegs. I then proceed to pin articles until the handful runs out. Almost invariably, the number of pegs in my hand will be an odd one. Only on extremely rare occasions will I pick up an even number of pegs.

I'm wondering what it is that determines how many pegs I can grab in a handful. Are there other people like me who always get an odd number? Are there people out there who only pick an even amount? Maybe we could start a society. The Odd Peg Pickers Association.

Now that I've totally bored you, I'll get out of your way now.

4 comments:

Pirate said...

If you change the size of the pegs does the number change?

Crookedpaw said...

I had a strong feeling this morning that you were back on the horizon.

Good to see you've made land safely.

As for changing the size, it doesn't seem to make any difference

Full-On-Forward said...

I recently ran across your posts on Pirates blog. I have just returned to blogging after a long absence. I really think that this has to do with the missing sock in the laundry. For every missing sock you come up with an odd number. On that rare ocassion when the same number of socks come out of the wash as you put in..you will get an even number.

Watch the socks-the answer lies within.

John

Crookedpaw said...

John,

That's a good theory. One I would never have thought of. I'll check it out next time I hang the washing.

Word verification thingy anagram:

Willy's Violet Zither Makes No Noise